On a developed .com I already control, I would decide page by page. Opting out of AI Overviews does not remove the site from regular Search, so the trade is citation in the overview versus keeping the click.
On a name I am about to buy, the opt-out is not the check. It does not clear what was already indexed, or what the archive still shows. I would look at that history first, then decide whether the new site should be in AI Mode at all.